On August 16, 2022, Christine Lee, Founder and Managing Director of Casa Companion Homecare Solutions, appeared on Daughterhood Conversations to share her experience, advice and strategies for homecare for aging parents. Casa Companion Homecare Solutions is an in home care agency in San Diego that provides caregivers and home care companions for seniors. This was the sixth Daughterhood Conversation hosted by Anne Tumlinson, founder of Daughterhood, and it focused on Navigating Home Care for Your Parents. Along with Christine, Andrea Cohen, the founder and CEO of Houseworks, appeared as a guest.
Anne asked Christine and Andrea to offer their professional advice and best strategies on the following topics:
- How does someone know when it’s the right time to try to bring home care services into the home of a loved one or a parent?
- What is “homecare” anyway? This can be confusing in a crisis because the Medicare program does have a home health benefit and home care is different.
- What if someone just wants to stay at home? How do you help them do that?
- What advice do you have for family caregivers who are trying to persuade their parents to accept some help at home?
- What if your parent is afraid of having a caregiver in their home, because they think ‘they’re dishonest and can’t be trusted?’ ‘
- How do you talk about cost and finances, especially to parents?
- How do you pick a good agency?
Watch the video to hear the complete conversation which is full of great advice about how to know when the time is right for home care, how to evaluate a caregiver agency, how to pay for care, and much more. In addition, Andrea Cohen has made a free tip sheet available that can help you ask the right questions when selecting an agency.
You can read a condensed transcript of this Daughterhood Conversation on the Daughterhood blog here.