In this fifteenth week of coronavirus restrictions in San Diego, the state and the city have been slowly moving to reopen public life as safely as possible. Unfortunately, current case counts have steadily increased recent weeks. It seems likely that we’ll be experiencing some level of restriction for a while to come. This means that access to resources and assistance will be vital for caregivers in San Diego and their loved ones. This week, we’re sharing a list of the current COVID-19-related resources available to seniors in San Diego. These are just a few of the highlights:
These organizations are continuing to offer food, cleaning supplies and medical appointment assistance during the COVID-19 restrictions, with either no-contact delivery or all appropriate precautions taken.
- Aging & Independence Services (AIS): Call the AIS Call Center at (800) 339-4661 for further assistance
- Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank: Call (858) 527-1419 (Miramar) or (858) 527-1419 Escondido
- Feeding San Diego: Call (858) 452-3663
- Meals on Wheels of San Diego County: Call (619) 260-6110
- Mama’s Kitchen: Call (619) 233-6262
- Stay Home SD: Call (619) 800-3252 or (619) 800-5432 (Español)
- ElderHelp: Call (619) 284-9281
- NPB Design Studio Food Giving Table: please visit NPB Design Studio’s Facebook Page
- The Center (LGBT Community Center): Call (619) 692-2077 x 101
- Jewish Family Service of San Diego: Call (858) 367-3210
- Community Through Hope: Call (619) 915-7256
- Del Mar Community Connections: Call (858) 792-7565
- Partner in Aging: Call (858) 480-1453
- California’s Great Plates Program:
If you have a smartphone or computer and would like to support your local restaurants while staying home, consider ordering food delivery. Uber Eats, Door Dash, and Postmates are meal delivery services that work with participating local restaurants. You access the services through an app on your smart phone, or through the company’s website. Watch the videos below to learn how to browse local restaurants, place your order within the app, charge to your credit card, and track your delivery in real-time.
- How to Use UberEats: https://youtu.be/6BiRrmQuy68
- How to Use DoorDash: https://youtu.be/CBU6YUL1oec
- How to Use Postmates: https://youtu.be/WUSDhL0XNtM
- Through its AniMeals Program, Helen Woodward Animal Center is providing pet food to San Diegans affected by COVID-19, older adults, community members with a disability and laid-off workers. They conduct drive-through style pet food distributions every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. They will give out a two-week supply of dog or cat food per pet/per household, maximum 3 pets. Call (858) 756-4114 ext.341 to learn more.
- Through its PAWS San Diego pantry program, the San Diego Humane Society will give a bag of dog or cat food, as well as other supplies, such as cat litter, pet treats and pet beds to anyone in need. Just visit the SDHS’s campus locations in Escondido, Oceanside or San Diego between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm to pick up. Call (619) 299-7012 x2100 to learn more.
There is still a wide variety of support available to caregivers even during this period of social isolation. Most of the social support, education and other tools are available online or by phone, and in-person support is delivered with all possible medical precautions.
- County of San Diego/In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS): Call the AIS Call Center at (800) 339-4661
- Caregiver Coalition: Visit the Caregiver Coalition website for resources
- Project Care – (Community Action Reaching the Elderly): Call the AIS Call Center at (800) 339-4661 for further assistance
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) San Diego: NAMI SD Helpline (619) 543-1434
- Southern Caregiver Resource Center (SCRC): Call (619) 493-6434
- Alzheimer’s Association San Diego/Imperial Chapter: Call (800) 272-3900
- Alzheimer’s San Diego: Call (858) 492-4400 or Live Chat: alzsd.org
- GlennerCare: Call (833) 770-CARE
- Family Caregiver Alliance: Call (800) 445-8106 or COVID-19 Resources for Families
- Caregiver Action Network: Call (855) 227-3640 or Tips for Family Caregivers and COVID-19
- AARP: Call (877) 333-5885 or Llamar (888) 971-2013 (Español)
- PsycArmor: List of resources
All the information in this post comes from the San Diego County Health & Human Services Agency “COVID-19 Programs, Services, and Resources: Older Adults and Adults Living With Disabilities” webpage. Please consult this page for the most current information, including new and updated resources on the topics listed above as well as the following topics: