It’s winter in San Diego, but it’s really hard to tell! This month you can have all kinds of fun like running with your Valentine, spending time with critters, and celebrating the Lunar New Year. Caregivers, home care aides and loved ones will all enjoy the mid-winter opportunities San Diego offers!
The Encinitas Senior Expo: “Embracing Retirement, Before and After 65”
- What you can expect: “This event is focused on people that will be retiring soon and those already retired and provide information for children of aging individuals looking for options for their parents. The event will include expert speakers on subjects pertinent to a healthy and successful retirement life. Healthy snacks will be available with opportunity drawings throughout the day and a commemorative bag for the first 300 attending the expo.”
- When: Saturday, Feb. 2 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Where: the Encinitas Community and Senior Center, 1140 Oakcrest Park Drive
- Tickets: It’s free!
- More information: Call (760) 753-6041
- Event website: encinitaschamber.com/embracing-retirement
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EncinitasChamberOfCommerce
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/encinitaschambe
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/encinitas-chamber-of-commerce-63a55929/
The Cardiff Kook 5k Run, The Encinitas 10,000 & The Beam Kids K
- What you can expect: “The Cardiff Kook Run starts & finishes under the iconic “ENCINITAS” sign on Coast HWY 101. This scenic Pacific Ocean low incline loop passes by the famous “Cardiff Kook” statue, rises above some of the most popular surf breaks in the world and heads down to So. Cardiff State Beach. There is something special about running along the Pacific Ocean with only wind, waves and friends.”
- When: Super Bowl Sunday! February 3 at 6am
- Where: Cardiff, CA
- Tickets: Cardiff Kook, 5k $48 ($58 day of); Encinitas 10,000,10K $58 ($68 day of); Beam Kids K $15.00
- More information:
Lunar New Year Tet Festival at Qualcomm
- What you can expect: “The Lunar New Year is an important Asian holiday that has been celebrated for thousands of years throughout the world, especially in Asia. 2019 marks the Year of the Pig, a sincere and brave animal that represents honesty, intelligence, and reliability. Pig’s positive enthusiastic energy and easygoing nature will make for an exciting festival as we continue our mission to revitalize San Diego’s Little Saigon Cultural and Commercial District. The festival will include an array of exotic food stations, unique vendor booths, cultural village, non-stop live entertainment and concerts, dog costume contest, Pho eating contest, plus traditional martial arts demonstrations and Lion Dance performances, firecrackers show. It is also one of the only events in the county offering diverse carnival rides appropriate for all ages.”
- When: February 1 – 3, 2019
- Where: The SDCCU Stadium in Mission Valley (formerly Qualcomm Stadium), 9449 Friars Rd, San Diego, CA 92108
- Tickets: $4–$6 for entry plus additional costs for food, drink and carnival rides. Parking is free.
- More information: Presented by the Little Saigon San Diego Foundation.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sandiegolunarnewyear/
- Phone: (619) 786-7573
9th Annual Coronado Valentine’s Day 10K, 5K & 1 Mile Fun Run
- What you can expect: “The Coronado Valentine’s Day 10K, 5K & 1 mile run will be a Match Making event this year! At registration you will pick up your choice of bib: Available, Taken, or It’s Complicated. Wear the bib on the run and find others that like to run and do events just like you! Get social at the event and make new friends. Plus, this year you can show the world how much your loved one means to you! We will provide a picturesque Proposal Point on the course for you to propose to your LOVE. For those already married, stop off at proposal point and lovingly ask your mate to marry you again, then follow the course to Wedding Vow Renewal at the beach, near the Coronado Bridge. You can wear regular running or wedding attire or multipurpose running wedding attire! (Free to participants!).”
- When: February 10, 2019
- Where: Tidelands Park in Coronado
- Tickets: Individuals, teams and couples’ registration ranges from $25 to $117
- More information:
February Break Critter Camp For Kids
- What you can expect: “Kids can spend this school break with amazing animals; campers will interact with a variety of species each day as well as create crafts, play games, and participate in awesome activities. Sign up for multiple days or come to just one, either way your kids are sure to have fun!”
- When: February 15 – 22, 2019
- Where: Helen Woodward Animal Center, 6461 El Apajo Road, Rancho Santa Fe, 92067
- Tickets: PreK (at least age 4) $58 per day, 9am – 1pm, K-6th grade: $73 per day, 9am – 3pm. Extended care hours, scholarships, lunch options, and discounts are available.
- More information:
- Website: org/education
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/helenwoodwardanimalcenter/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/HWAC
- Phone: 858-756-4117 ext. 318
- Email: email@example.com