San Diego is the city of summer, but official summertime ends with Labor Day. Before we get back to business, there are a few festivals and opportunities for fun this August that you don’t want to miss. You won’t get a chance to admire ten-ton sand sculptures, eat from the grills of master BBQ-ers, or sing sea chanteys on a real sailing ship until next summer! Caregivers, home care aides and loved ones should consider putting some of these special events on their calendar this August!
Del Mar Race Season
- When: Seasons ends September 3rd (Labor Day)
- What: The Del Mar Racetrack season enters the homestretch for 2018 with a big finale on Labor Day (September 3rd). The last weeks of the season are full of big purse races, concerts, fun days, feasts and festivals of all kinds. Remember, some of the special events require tickets in addition to track admission. Check out the event calendar and plan your end-of-summer fun. Here are some special days you don’t want to miss:
- August 19: Turf & Surf BBQ Championship. Thirty pro BBQ-masters compete for more than $15,000 in prizes and the State Championship title! Bring your appetite: a General Admission Ticket gives you Stretch Run Racetrack Admission, unlimited BBQ, and five beverage tasters. Bring the kids too: ages 4-12 are $15 at the door just for BBQ. And kids 3 & under are free.
- August 30: Seniors Day. All seniors 62 and over get into the Stretch Run for free, along with a racing program and a seat! All free with valid I.D. at certain Stretch Run Admission Gates.
- August 18: Craft Beer Festival. San Diego’s thriving craft beer scene and stand-outs from the rest of the country and the world are all ready for tasting. One Craft Beer Fest ticket gives you admission to the racetrack, a tip sheet for the races, and unlimited beer tasters! Plus, specialty food options will include gourmet pizza, among other vendors.
- Every race day: New to horse racing, or just want to add some method to your betting? Get to the Plaza de Mexico one hour before the first race. You’ll get good info about how odds work, how to handicap, how to manage your money (at the track, not in life), insider info and expert horse picks from host Frank Scatoni and Today’s Racing Digest.
- Where: Del Mar Racetrack, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar CA
- Tickets: Prices vary
- More info:
San Diego Spirits Festival
- When: August 25 & 26, 2018
- What: The 10th Annual San Diego Spirits Festival brings unlimited cocktails, bartender battles, chef demonstrations, complimentary small bites from local restaurants, live music and a fashion show to Broadway Pier. Food trucks will be there to help festival-goers go the distance and keep celebrating. VIP tickets with upgrades are also available.
- Where: Post Pavilion Broadway Pier, 1000 N. Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
- Tickets: Saturday 2pm- 6pm $65, Sunday 2pm-5pm $55. VIP tickets: Saturday 2pm- 6pm $100, Sunday 2pm-5pm $85
- More info:
Beach Blanket Movie Night Solana Beach
- When: August 25, 2018, 5pm – 10pm
- What: The City of Solana Beach is throwing a Beach Blanket Movie Night with a showing of Moana at Fletcher Cove. Admission is free, and it’s BYOB (blanket or beach chair). Bid on items like a beach cruiser, surfboard and wetsuits at the silent auction. Enjoy live music from Tower 7. And have cash on hand for the food vendors.
- Where: Fletcher Cove, Solana Beach, CA 92101
- Tickets: Entry is free
- More info:
Sea Chantey Festival
- When: August 26, 2018, 11:30am – 4:40pm
- What: If ‘yo ho ho and a bottle of rum’ is all you know about the songs sailors sing, then you’re in for an exciting day. ‘X’ marks the Maritime Museum this month when they put on the 26th Annual Sea Chantey Festival. Eight bands and artists will perform traditional sea chanteys while on board the Star of India, while the crew performs the traditional tasks the songs are meant to accompany and coordinate. You can even join in the songs and help raise the sails! The Festival is free along with paid admission to the museum that day, which means you can enjoy all the other exhibits too!
- Where: Maritime Museum of San Diego, 1492 North Harbor Drive, San Diego CA 92101
- Tickets: Adults, $18; kids 3-12, $8; seniors 62 and over, active military and students 13-17, $13; and a family of four, $47. Tykes 2 and under are free.
- More info:
U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge & Dimensional Art Exposition
- When: August 31 – September 3, 2018
- What: San Diego’s premier sand sculpting competition with masters from around the globe competing to scupt sand into amazing art, with $60,000 at stake! Plus, a World Masters’ class, team sculpting, live music and entertainment, art you can bring home, gourmet food trucks, kids’ fun, and support for several local childrens’ charities.
- Where: Broadway Pier and Pavilion, 1000 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101
- Tickets: Friday ‘Preview Day’ prices differ from Saturday and Sunday prices. VIP tickets also available. Active duty military, SDPD, SDFD, other first responders with I.D. are free every day.
- More info: