San Diego is a wonderful place to live all year long, but it really shines during the holidays. Anyone who’s lived nearly anywhere else remembers the snow, ice, freezing temperatures, and inescapable shivering that comes along with turkey, family and presents. But we get to enjoy holiday delights all around San Diego County under blue skies, shining sun and crisp air, making the holiday season truly delightful. This month, caregivers, home care aides and loved ones can enjoy holiday theater, shopping, and art in Rancho Santa Fe, Encinitas, Coronado, Carmel Valley and even on Catalina Island. It’s the most festive time of the year!
The Catalina Island Museum is presenting a museum-wide display of Dale Chihuly glass on November 17 and December 8. Not only is this show a rare Southern California appearance of his glorious, groundbreaking work, but the museum will stay open until 8pm. Chihuly glass at sunset and lit up after dark is even more spectacular than usual! The museum also offers group tours of the exhibit during the day and at night, and it’s not too late to book one!
- When: November 19 and December 8
- Where: The Catalina Island Museum
- Admission plus a taco dinner from local restaurant Coyote Joe’s: $20 for museum members, $25 for non-members and $10 for children ages 3-15.
- Admission alone: Museum members and children under 15 (with a paid adult admission) $0, adults $17, seniors (60+), military (active and veterans), and students with a valid I.D. all $15
- More info:
In recent years, where and how we shop for holiday gifts has become as meaningful as the gifts we buy for our loved ones. Shopping local and shopping fair trade are the ways we can support the ideas and causes important to us with our holiday dollars. The Resurrection Lutheran Church in Coronado offers the opportunity to do both on November 19 and November 26 at their fair trade sale “Deck the Halls With Fair Trade.” Want to know more about the products, the artisans, and the way fair trade works? Check out the Fair Trade Winds website, and get ready to get your holiday on!
- When: November 19 and November 26
- Where: Resurrection Lutheran Church in Coronado
- Tickets: Open to all fair-trade shoppers!
- More info:
Downtown Encinitas is hosting the 27th Annual Holiday Street Fair on November 19th from 9am to 5pm. Did we have you at ‘street fair’? Then get excited because this one will feature 450 booths as well as the Encinitas stores along the route, live music and dance, a beer garden, a valet bike service, and the chance to get all your holiday shopping done in one day! Plus, dogs are welcome everywhere! Find a list of vendors, info about the entertainment, and details about where to park at visitencinitas.org.
- When: November 19, 9 am to 5pm
- Where: Downtown Encinitas
- Tickets: Free as the air and sunshine!
- More info:
Before the internet, the telephone and even the telegraph, America enjoyed something called the Lyceum circuit, which sent traveling lecturers and educators to small towns and cities all over the country. In support of lifelong adult education, speakers like Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau and even Abraham Lincoln spoke to full rooms and halls of adults open to new ideas and debates. After many decades of radio, television, and YouTube dumbing things down, the TED Talk comes to the rescue. The Carmel Valley Branch Library will stream two very popular TED Talks by Brene Brown and Amy Cuddy as part of their November Senior Symposium on November 20. TED Talk fans will enjoy the group setting, and those new to TED Talks will discover a whole new world of smart people and interesting ideas.
- When: November 20
- Where: Carmel Valley Branch Library
- More info: The Carmel Valley Branch Library at (858) 552-1668
No Christmas season would be complete without some Dickens, some Scrooge and some Tiny Tim! The Village Church Community Theater in Rancho Santa Fe will perform ‘Scrooge! The Musical’ on December 1 (at 7pm), December 2 (at 1pm and 5pm) and December 3 (at 2pm). You can support community theater and be reminded of the meaning of Christmas at the same time!
- When: December 1, 2 and 3
- Where: The Village Church Community Theater in Rancho Santa Fe
- Tickets: $10 – $17 depending on date and time of performance
- More info: http://villagechurchcommunitytheater.org/scrooge-the-musical