San Diego’s foodies are gearing up for a big month. Restaurant Week is around the corner, and some of San Diego’s biggest food festivals happen this month. Caregivers, home care aides and loved ones can all enjoy the family-style food fun in September and October in San Diego.
This Saturday, September 23rd, the Rancho Santa Fe Garden Club and the Rancho Santa Fe Association’s Osuna Committee are hosting a Farm-to-Table Dinner featuring a Silent Auction with two fundraising goals. The proceeds from the auction will support the restoration of the historic Adobe on Osuna Ranch, and contribute funds to the Rancho Santa Fe Garden Club community grant program. The dinner and auction will be held at the Osuna Ranch, with live music, local farm vendors, and a locally-sourced family-style meal for all guests. The Adobe home on the ranch was home to San Diego’s first mayor, and is in the process of being named a California and United States historic site.
- When: September 23rd, 4pm – 7pm
- Where: The historic Osuna Ranch
- Tickets: $150 each and seating is limited.
- More info: please call 858-756-1554 or email email@example.com
Every area has its own unofficial holidays, and San Diego is no exception. There’s Del Mar Opening Day, Flower Bloom in the desert and in Carlsbad, and the most delicious of all, the Julian Apple Days Festival! This weekend, September 23rd and 24th, the Menghini Winery in Julian will host this iconic San Diego celebration of that most American of all desserts. In addition to pie, music, shopping and great non-pie food, the festival will feature pie eating contests, gold panning demonstrations, a falconry display and meet & greet, and the crowning of Mr. and Mrs. Apple Days! For those who are avoiding carbs and sugar, take heart: there’s a wine & beer garden too. Pro tip: make time to pick your own apples at one of Julian’s many ‘u-pick’ orchards.
- When: September 23rd and 24th, 10am – 5pm
- Where: Menghini Winery
- Tickets: $5 and children under 12 are free
- More info: www.julianappledays.com
It is a truth universally acknowledged … that people like beer. This is why Oktoberfest and its traditions are popular almost everywhere, including San Diego. Over the weekends of September 30 – October 1 and October 6 – 7, the cities of El Cajon, La Mesa, Encinitas, Ocean Beach and Carlsbad will all celebrate Oktoberfest. Fans of lederhosen, oom-pah-pah music, bratwurst and beer can honor their favorite parts of German culture while enjoying the fruits of San Diego’s thriving craft beer scene. Here’s a list of the places you can polka on down to next month for some Oktoberfest fun:
- When: September 29 – October 8
- Where: 1017 South Mollison Avenue, El Cajon, CA 92020
- Tickets: Adults – $10 Friday & Saturday, $5 Sunday; Under 21 & Active Military – Free
- More info: 619-442-6637
- When: September 29 – October 1
- Where: La Mesa Village, Spring Street and La Mesa Boulevard, La Mesa, CA 91942
- Tickets: Free!
- More info: www.lamesaoktoberfest.org
- Ocean Beach