Summer in San Diego is easy, right? With 70 miles of coastline, beautiful public beaches, and gorgeous weather, you can say ‘I’m going to the beach’ on Memorial Day Weekend, and not come back until Labor Day. But what about June, when the gloom can really mess with your tan? Or your Vitamin D absorption? There are so many things to do in San Diego in June and July that will get your summer off to a great start, and we list 9 of the most iconic here. Caregivers, loved ones, and home care aides can spend the summer any way they like, as long as they remember to bring the sunblock!
Nighttime Zoo at the San Diego Zoo: June 19 – September 5
- The zoo celebrates its centennial this year, so they’re kicking the usually awesome Nighttime Zoo up a notch!
Nothing says summer like watching a movie outdoors:
Summer Movies In The Park: May 27 through October 29
- PG movies in public parks all over San Diego – pull up a lawn chair!
Stone Movie Nights: May 31 – August 23
- Tuesday nights at 5:30 at the Movie Pavilion at Liberty Station
Little Italy Summer Film Festival: June 18 – August 27
- Italian films with English subtitles Saturday nights at the Amici Park Amphitheatre
- Only $5, but no animals
Ready to build a world-class sandcastle? Or watch someone else build one?
The 2016 Sun & Sea Festival: July 15 – 16
- Imperial Beach hosts a parade, a pier swim, and a breakfast AND…
- The 2016 Sandcastle Building Competition, open to Masters & Professionals, Family & Business Teams, and Kids
Fancy yourself a red-hot Gordon Ramsey?
Ocean Beach Street Fair & Chili Cook-Off: June 25
- Enjoy chili, a street fair, shopping, live music, and a beer garden!
Love watching ‘sports’?
2016 Annual Over The Line Tourney: July 9 – 17
- San Diego’s Over The Line (OTL) tournament is a local icon, where 3-man teams play three to four inning games without gloves and only wooden bats. Invented in San Diego, OTL is played by San Diegans of all ages and athletic abilities!
Unleashed by Petco Surf Dog Competition: July 30
- Put that pug in a wetsuit and head down to the beach!
- Sponsored this year by Petco Unleashed – where you probably bought that wetsuit! – the whole family enjoys this hilarious day watching the dog-dudes hang 20! Any dog can enter (registration fee required) but the whole experience is free for the family.
Finally, no summer is complete without fireworks. But please, leave Rover at home!
Big Bay Boom!: July 4th
- Starting at 9pm, it’s San Diego’s biggest fireworks display, all around the bay. Watch from these locations, and take advantage of free parking and free shuttles:
Caregivers, loved ones and home care aides all know that summer is either just another season, or exactly what you make of it. So use our handy guide to make the most of what San Diego has to offer you in June and July, and stay tuned next month for our guide to August and September fun in the sun!